Thursday, January 06, 2005

~U R WHAT U EAT~

I have kept up on this guy, Yahoo! News - Man Who Shed 450 Pounds to Head Home Soon since I read about him last year in our local paper...in South Dakota. He lives near some relatives of mine and I hope sooo much that he will successfully lose the rest of the weight and regain his health. He was suffering from heart failure when he was taken into the hospital and would have died without medical intervention. He has lost a staggering amount of weight, yet stands to lose again that much before he's done. I wish him the best of luck and will keep him in my prayers! I hope he can have a whole new life and enjoy all he's been forced to miss.
On another note...I have seen such a huge amount of people who have contracted staph infections during hospitalization...This disturbs me a great deal! Aren't health care people disinfecting their hands? I think there is far too much laxity regarding cleanliness amongst healthcare people and I think they should crack down on those people big time! I had a friend who had cancer, was in terrible shape and contracted staph from his nurse...they know this because he was in isolation, and as a result of the staph, he lost all his teeth, nearly died and had a tremendous struggle for his life! He died a few years later...and never sued the hospital. I think I would have, if only to hopefully prevent anything like that from happening again. I would have gone ballistic!
On another note, I have been seriously pissed off at the ignorance or maybe sheer stupidity I have seen with regard to latex products. There are volumes of people who are allergic to them, this is widely known...yet, I see programs on t.v. where food or candy is being prepared and laid out, and people are either completely gloveless or wearing rubber (latex) gloves.
1. If someone ate that food who had a latex allergy and suffered resultant anaphylaxis, who'd ever know that was the offending agent? Would they think the person just died from "unknown causes"?
2. What the bloody HELL are people doing preparing food for public comsumption, WITHOUT gloves on? There are PLASTIC gloves that can be purchased by the box that I have never heard of anyone becoming allergic to...that can & should be used by anyone handling food! And even then need to still take precautions in it's handling.
I was watching "John Ratzenberger's- "Made In America" and they were making "Whitman" samplers of candy...John was being shown the proper way to "massage" the vat of melted chocolate, how to correctly roll in the confection and proper placement of the candy on the tray, so it could set. The woman demonstrating was wearing a hat of some sort but NO GLOVES!!! She dipped her hands into that vat of chocolate that people eat and YESSSH! I can tell you I'll NEVER eat another Whitman sampler! They tried to impart the virtues of the "home made" touch ...It creeped me out! Isn't there enough damn disease all around us without INVITING it!!?? They made a real point of showing John heartily scrubbing his hands....all lost on me I'll tell ya! Gimme a good ol machine to fix up my samplers of candy.... Oh yeah, furthermore, huge OPEN vats, UNcovered, gargantuan tiller or propellor stirring and whipping it up, as people looked on....hmmm....cold & flu anyone? I mean these were completely exposed to everyones coughs and sneezes! I didn't actually SEE anyone sneezing but come on!!! I mean...go to any buffet style cafe and there ya have it....a clear cover, smudged, sneezed on and splattered. But it kept the worst of it off the food...However, no way do I eat at those kinds of places either. I have seen kids who whined they didn't want this or that and after picking their nose and poking their finger into the offensive food, Mom or Dad, slyly scraping it BACK INTO THE TROUGH!!!!!!!!!! No thanks! No way!!! I don't enjoy dining at restaurants any more...I've seen too much and have had friends in the business....and that's a whole other story! Lol! My Uncle toured a ketchup factory...and he said if you knew what went into it, nooo way would you eat it. He quit eating ketchup after that....or shall I say catsup...he's from down south. He switched to Heinz 57....hmmm....wonder what goes in that? Lol!
Remember: You are what ya eat!!!!!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home